society's actions increasingly affect the natural environment, and our participation in understanding, assessing and minimizing the impact of our actions is critical.
wittenberg's mission, in part, is to create a participatory citizen who recognizes their obligation to the natural environment.
the environmental science program features working across fields to address environmental problems. we provide opportunities for our students to engage with more than 30 local agencies that are invested in water, climate, conservation, environmental health and more. our students plan stream restoration, improve wetland planning, map soil pollution, monitor nuisance and endangered wildlife, and develop recommendations for parks, planners, and policymakers. our students go on to work in water resources, conservation, ecosystem services, restoration, wildlife management, and community development in private, government, and municipal roles.
- click here to read our department newsletter (published march 2020)
a key feature of our program is research on environmental sustainability. we recently received a nsf grant to create transdisciplinary stem-business curriculum addressing sustainable development goals that will position our students for many emerging careers improving business, organizational, and community resilience.
we collaborate with 15 programs on sustainability initiatives and many co-curricular efforts including green wittenberg, the ecohouse and the president's climate commitment. this enables students, staff and faculty to embrace components of the wittenberg mission in their personal, professional and civic lives as responsible global citizens.
environmental science in the news:
- rachel corsello '20: wittenberg senior’s paper on redlining project published in journal (published may 27, 2020)
- the power of internships: haley jackson ’19 looks to save one sea turtle nest at a time (published september 17, 2018)
- small act: big impact: is a small act meaningful? does it matter to the larger problem? does turning off the lights as you leave a room help solve climate change and global warming? (published april 22, 2018)
- optimizing opportunities: summer pursuit inspires junior courtney lopez to change career path (published february 27, 2018)
- exceeding expectations: wittenberg named national model for integrating civic responsibility in its environmental science and geology majors (published october 26, 2017)
- committed to environmental science: senior awarded ohio epa scholarship (published november 21, 2017)
- 2017 commencement speaker announced: alumna and leading conservationist sandra postel to give 2017 keynote address (published april 7, 2017)
- chemistry of glacier melt: one professor's journey to antarctica (published february 22, 2017)
- springfield news-sun feature: city interns work on environment: springfield implements rain barrel and tree programs (published august 4, 2013)